StableCoin and ReserveCoin Names

This is a huge branding question. Very important.
What’s the timeline that we need to decide?

What is the goal in the name, what does it need to communicate, should it be viewed to be like other stablecoins or try to differentiate itself with the name.

We need tickers, full names and to consider slang usage.

I think it’s interesting that DAI holds up on it’s own and is not call MakerDollar.

I love the look of ΣUSD, but it is problematic as others have said.

Having Erg in the ticker name could help build awareness of $Erg

ErgS - Ergo StableCoin
ErgD - Ergo Dollar (StableCoin)
ErgR - Ergo Reserve

I think these tickers are open.

I could see someone saying “Alice, I owe you 12 ErgS for lunch”

10 Likes

From Chris Hobotnica on TG:
"gUSD

g is the constant for gravity ~ stability, dependability. g found in Ergo to communicate ‘Go’ as in ‘Go USD’ or ‘Go EUR’"

5 Likes

I don’t know anything about how ticker usage is chosen or enforced

CMC search for gUSD comes up Gemini Dollar
with Gemini Dollar price today, GUSD marketcap, chart, and info | CoinMarketCap

AgeD (dollar), AgeR (reserve), AgeS (stable), AgeE (euro)

4 Likes

the ‘f’ in fUSD has a certain presence and height without overcrowding the stablecoin peg code USD. ‘f’ might also represent function or a functional USD.

2 Likes

Maybe consider dropping [US]D? only adds to our identity, there’s lost of stablecoins about these days.

None of these are really viable, but it might encourage some different thinking:

• possibly something with a tiny bit of quirk, so sigma would be cool like sD
  • sustainable dollar, or sigma usd again, susD
  • sovereign dollar svgD

Also consider currency symbols, standard sigma (∑) or even the section symbol which isnt used in many places anymore (§)

Could we go even further and drop ties with USD in the naming convention altogether? Aiming at tender, currency, bill, and so on, or would that ruin the nature?

3 Likes

₿ BTC
Ξ ETH
₳ ADA
◈ DAI

∑ ERG

• sigma looks like an E for Ergo
  • sigma important to the code

🜁 AIR

• alchemy symbol for Air is 🜁
  • alchemy is about transmutation
  • air flows all around us
  • AIR ticker seems available
  • air sounds like AirGo
  • one syllable, easy to say
  • Alice owes me 12🜁 for lunch
  • just send me twelve air

AIR_cirlce

🜃 ERTH

• Reserve currency
4 Likes

🜁 AIR is attractive, i would vouch for this :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Love AIR and ERTH, beautiful names, but unfortunately it seems that the AIR ticker is already taken AirToken price today, AIR marketcap, chart, and info | CoinMarketCap
and besides, the ageUSD implementation name requires to be able to be declined into various currencies: airUSD, airEUR for example, but as there is already an AIR token, a search for airUSD will return all prices and charts of the already existing AIR token to USD.

It seems generally that 3 letters + USD can often be misleading as being a trading pair, but if we have only 4 letters, it’s less risky to be confounded with a trading pair. And do not forget that there will be going to have charts of AIRUSD to USD to compare exactly how well it is close to 1:1 parity. This would then give AIRUSD/USD, pretty long. That’s why I intuitively went first to looking which letters are still available in front of USD and EUR, and it is becoming a rarity. If we don’t take it, someone else will for sure.

Regarding the symbols, they also seem to be very complementary and nice looking, very attractive, but the pointer to the upside of the logo is not indicating that it is a stable coin.
While the pointer of ERTH to the downside is a little bit negative, as everyone buying the reserve coin are here because they think price will increase, so it’s not intuitively sending the right message.
But overall, the AIR and ERTH are really beautiful and it’s definitely a nice proposal.

And last but not the least, superposition of both symbols gives you a masonic star, which would open the door to completely unjustified conspiration theories towards us.

4 Likes

So I’ll summarise my proposal:

1. k in front of the currency to designate its stable version
    kUSD, kEUR, etc. - besides that, it would be a very nice reference to kushti and r. kornaki, two pillars of Ergo, and the k usually used in mathemathics or physics to refer to a constant. This way, we could recognise the “stable” version of any (native only?) token in the Ergo world, by just adding the “k” in front of it.

2. x after the currency to designate its version locked as reserve
    ERGx => named ERGx only, like TEDx, refering to the concept of the variable or leverage by a multiple, like a leveraged long position on ERG.

This would also enable to have at a later stage for example an ADAx and any other coins used as collateral, as everything will be interoperable, having such an easy readable nomenclature would be really easy to manage and understand.

Both pronounced as they are, so for example /k/ USD, and ERGex.

Keeping things simple, and reserving all our major 4 letter tickers asap, so no one can snap them from us later.

This simplicity would add tremendous value to the whole system.

6 Likes

I think the AIR you linked to is dead-ish and looks to have no volume or real market cap value.

If we can not capture the AIR ticker we could go with ERGA for Ergo Air and ERGR for Ergo Reserve.

Will having a USD stablecoin cover the needs of user or do we need to have one for every Fiat currency? Where do we draw the line.

How is Maker dealing with the DaiUSD/USD issue? I have not seen any plans for DaiYEN or DaiEUR

I think the AIR symbol looks like an A as well as a level line going through a pyramid, potentially the most stable thing I can think of.

I don’t think the A in Ampleforth logo is confusing anyone and I don’t think there would be any companies with a V for a logo if we think a V always means down. I think the branding and context create meaning of the logo, even bad logos.

If we are concerned about conspiracy theorists, just change the Reserve currency logo to an R or something less deviant or threatening as it will not be widely seen compared to the stablecoin, which I think should have mass appeal.

I do like the kUSD and ERGx options. I think they make sense and the logos could be clean. I’m concerned that there are so many USD variants that we will be lost in a sea of them.

I think DAI has made a mark and is known.
From a branding perspective, I think AIR is strong.

I do like K a lot though, and that it’s a constant. That is strong as well.

• Alice owes me 12𝙆 for lunch
  • just send me twelve kay
4 Likes

Yes it’s maybe dead-ish, but I don’t know if we can claim that ticker if it’s already taken. (I assume probably not? I’ve not seen yet 2 same tickers on CMC, but maybe there is?)

I like the name AIR per se, but in the context of a stable coin, and air being a volatile gas, it will be difficult to explain the association between air and stability, or how could we explain that?

Ergo Reserve (ERGR) would then be pronouced ERGair, which is an unfortunate bad luck.

ERGA is not necessary, as you can just hold ERG instead :wink:

Your Alice example, made me think of something…
Could 10 kUSD be misinterpreted as 10 thousand USD?
10k USD is 10 thousand USD.
10 kUSD is 10 stable USD.
The difference is subtle…

1 Like

I’m on board with the kUSD and ERGx naming system.

Question. Why peg our stablecoin directly to the USD, when a lot of us don’t really have faith in USD.

Would it be better to make a stable version of ERG called kERG?
kERG the stablecoin would be backed by ERGx the Reserve Coin.

Then you could trade the stable kERG into any local stablecoin like kUSD, kEUR, kYEN, USDT, DAI…

An Ergo DEX could make behind the scenes trading pairs through kERG so that any trading pair is possible.

BTC/ETH
BTC ← kERG → ETH

BTC/kUSD
BTC ← kERG → kUSD

kUSD/kYEN
kUSD ← kERG → kYEN

Could this provide more liquidity between even super small cap coins?

Let’s say someone wanted to trade AliceCoin for BTC, and someone else wanted to trade BobCoin for ETH.

If all the trades go through kERG, then it is possible to look at a chart and trade AliceCoin/BobCoin.

Shared liquidity and custom trading pairs could be massive.

kERG could be pegged to either a basket of top 10 Fiats or to the 200 week moving average of ERG itself.

I might be nice to have it pegged to a combination of both, so when ERG gains value the importance of the Fiat value to the peg becomes diminished.

• Sidenotes

Also, what about time lock delays in moving in and out of kERG. The rate at which you can move in or out can opened or closed slightly to allow more flow in one direction or the other, like a hydraulic dampening system to smooth out the price fluctuations.

If it’s easy for long term holders and believers to move all of their ERG into the ERGx Reserve, then their balance of available kUSD will be growing consistently.

I want my Ergo stablecoin backed by ERG only. Let’s incentivize locking up more ERG into our stablecoin reserves, not ETH or BTC.

Economics and math is above my pay grade.
Sorry for talking so much, I’m just brainstorming.

1 Like

GRREAT conversation! So can anyone do a TG poll maybe?

Fair points that you cant easily type sigma symbol.
I like kusd a lot then! We can say it like it is its in honor of ergo developers. Robert Kornack as welll as Kushti.

We can honor both if we do kusd and (rerg)

Granted its not a fast market win but it would get a lot of people who then discoverd more on Ergo ecosystem.

|USD| |ERG| could also work. Signal its supposed to be stable / and boxed in symbol is fairly big part of the boxed utxo model of Ergo :slight_smile:

" <> "
(RC symbolising holding)
" >< "
(SC symbolising releasing)

[($)] (Stable coin - symbols a dollar bill)
[(E)] (Reserve coin - symbols an ergo bill)

1 Like

[(:+1:)]

That’s a very unique way to do the symbol, are these characters available for use on the ticker?

I think we need to create clarity as to what is actually available.

I am not sure if a lot of the proposed tickers are available.

Thats standard text available on any keyboard. [ ] and () and $ E. But yeah if its allowed to have a ticker like that I dont know.

I dont think it’s a good idea to poll options that are not available.

I’m trying to update the list sorry if I missed your proposal.

Please check the availability and add if I missed any.

Coinmarketcap has the following listed. These are believed to be taken/reserved.

Eusd -erc20 token stable
USDe -dollar electrino
cUSD -celo dollar
Air -airtoken
aUSD -appeal dollar
Susd -synthetix

We need to check if options are available before me poll/propose them. So the community doesn’t get attached to names that are not viable.

Available tickers

kUSD -stable
kERG -reserve

SigUSD -stable
ERGx -reserve

SigUSD - stable - ΣUSD in dapps
SigRSV -reserve -ΣRSV in dappdapps

RSVe -reserve

AgeS -stable
AgeR -reserve

kUSD -stable
ERGx -reserve

ErgS -stable
ErgR -reserve

Sterg -stable
Reserg -reserve

kUSD -stable
AGE -reserv

fUSD -stable

Unknown format for ticker but unique ideas: I am not sure how to check available format for tickers.

[($)] (Stable coin - symbols a dollar bill)
[(E)] (Reserve coin - symbols an ergo bill)

|USD| stable
|ERG| reserve

1 Like

We may be able to take over a ticker.
Look up USDX on Coin Market Cap and there are 5 results that come up. Five! :exploding_head:

SigmaUSD (ΣUSD) is great, but can we use Σ in a ticker?

There might be some benefit in brand association for new users to understand that
ErgoUSD (EUSD) is linked to Ergo (ERG)