Indicative voting for EIP-27 soft-fork proposal

Dear Ergo miners!

It seems after the hard-fork no changes in parameters were done, maybe because it was not known to the new generation of miners how to do that. Back in 2019, I provided some instructions on how to change block-related limits (see e.g. [Voting proposal] Increasing maximum computational cost for block ).

Voting on parameters also was used before for indicative voting on fixing memory-hardness of the Autolykos algorithm, see [Voting Proposal] Opinion on Memory-Hardness hard-fork .

Let’s use the same trick to have indicative voting on EIP-27 emission soft-fork proposal ( EIP-0027: Emission Soft-Fork by kushti · Pull Request #52 · ergoplatform/eips · GitHub ). So if you support as a miner or a pool EIP-27, please vote also for increasing (non-significantly) computational cost limit per block (from current 7M to 8M). From observing the voting, we will get hashrate support %%.

For that, please put following “voting” section in your configs:

voting {
    4 = 8000000
  }

under “ergo”, e.g.

ergo {
  node {
    mining = true
  }

voting {
    4 = 8000000
  }
}
9 Likes

We will follow the decisions of the ERGO miners and community.

7 Likes

666pool.com will support this softfork

5 Likes

did i configure correctly?

2 Likes

should be just

ergo {
  node {
    mining = true
  }

voting {
    4 = 8000000
  }
}

along with other settings you might have

We ordinary miners don’t know how to vote.

1 Like

I second Mason’s comment

1 Like

seems like a big issue @kushti

Delegate your hash to GetBlok and use their vote tokens.

3 Likes

If you mining in a pool then the pool operator would be able to cast your vote if they really wanted to but I’d imagine most reputable mining pools would remain neutral on the re-emissions proposal but rather provide the miners with the correct tools to vote in a convenient manner. To keep things fair a lot of pools have implemented proof-of-vote that will let traditional pool miners cast their vote from the pool directly rather than needing a full node. Voting should remain as trustless as possible.

2 Likes

I’m confused on how to vote (yes or no) on EIP-0027?

1 Like

Hey! Since nobody else answered you, I can let you know what I know.

I asked about this in https://www.reddit.com/r/erg_miners/comments/sjpl07/voting_is_too_convoluted/

Basically you need to find out what the different mining pools will vote (by public announcement or similar), and then mine to one of the pools that supports your opinion (yes or no). An overview here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ergonauts/comments/s6ixer/indicative_voting_for_eip27_softfork_proposal/

Your hash rate contributes to the collective hash rate of the pool, which is used to strengthen that vote.
Overly simplified; if one pool votes for “yes” with 3 TH power, and another votes for “no” with 2 TH, the yes vote will win because it has more hash power.

That’s how I understood it at least. Maybe someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

Another way is to use Getblok.io 's mining pool to get voting tokens. See how it works with this nice little twitter picture: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FJrhx09XsAIehgU?format=jpg&name=small

4 Likes

https://www.getblok.io/getblok-proof-of-vote-ergo-eip0027/

If you are mining from a full node you need to change some config in your Ergo full node.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your response however I’m running a full node and need the actual setting to change in the config file. I guess my mistake for not being clear

1 Like

are you aware of what to change in the config file?
I see 4 = 8000000 in this thread however isn’t that just related to increasing the memory?
I don’t see what I need to change in order to vote for EIP-0027

From my understanding adding the following code below to your full node config will essentially vote yes and if you don’t change your config you are essentially saying no to the re-emission proposal.

ergo {
  node {
    mining = true
  }

voting {
    4 = 8000000
  }
}
2 Likes

Increasing the memory is used as an indicative way to vote. But unless you are solo mining and finding blocks you should use GetBlok.io to vote.

2 Likes

Place Your Vote

Use your GBGT to help GetBlok decide on the EIP-0027 Soft-Fork vote!

1 Like

Hi, it would be nice to know the consensus of the other mining pools like nano. Do they support this soft fork?

2 Likes

So the vote was agains EIP-27 and it not pass, but russians making ergo - puting eip-27 anyway into network… so FOR WHAT WAS THE VOTE?