Ergo node bootstrapping optimizations

I think now it is a good time to start new round of Ergo node bootstrapping optimizations. The goal would be to keep bootstrapping time under 3-4 hours on commodity hardware (e.g. laptops with 8GB RAM and 30 Mbps download speed), and also reduce memory footprint. I am already doing some work towards that.

The plan would be as follows:

• avoid unnecessary (de)serializations and allocations. I already eliminated unnecessary Header deserializations during sync network message construction in this PR: P2P layer optimizations - part I by kushti · Pull Request #1290 · ergoplatform/ergo · GitHub . Also, passing ergoTreeBytes instead of ErgoTree in ErgoBox ( Avoid duplicates of ErgoTrees and Constants · Issue #694 · ScorexFoundation/sigmastate-interpreter · GitHub ) would help to avoid unnecessary tree construction when we just need to e.g. pass block transactions to a peer. Even more, we can just read bytes and pass them to the network with no doing serialization & deserialization on the way.

• like in Bitcoin Core, we can avoid signature and cost validation for old blocks. Unlike Bitcoin Core, no need to hard-code state commitment checkpoints as with UTXO-set commitments we have state checkpoints written down into each block-header. I think at the moment we can skip validation for all the V1 blocks (so before 417,792). There will be a flag to skip sigs validation (enabled by default), so it will be possible to do sig validation if a user is willing to do so.

• avoid state versioning for old blocks

Should be enough for now, along with P2P layer improvements, then we can add bootstrapping with UTXO-set snapshot, nipopows, more efficient storage implementation for AVL+ tree authenticating UTXO set, JIT+AOT costing instead of just AOT, simplified interpreter etc.

2 Likes

Is it possible to use batch Schnorr verification across an entire block (or within a transaction)?

Which form of batching? Do you have a link?

For improving sig validation, there are different techniques for improving multiple exponentiations (for the same generator) by using e.g. LL algorithm scapi/DlogGroupAbs.java at master · ddunwoody/scapi · GitHub . Would be interesting to check what Bitcoin Core is doing.

Pippenger’s for large batches, but I’m not sure what the state-of-the-art is currently. If you look at Bitcoin Core they’ve done a lot of research into this already along with benchmarks.

1 Like